We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"BOOTMGR is missing"

307camel

Likes # 0

Help please.

HP G7000 Notebook PC. Computer has been running slow and a few music programs have continually crashed and remained in the "not responding" state for a while, recently.

Then, the laptop would only boot up to the login scren (VISTA) where you could not proceed any further (even if laptop left for over an hour).

Next day, managed to get into windows and do a few bits, albeit the computer was a bit slower and really struggled to open windows explorer etc. I took this opportunity to remove all files i required onto an external drive.

Tried to do a system restore (windows) but this just would not load up and kept crashing the machine.

Shut the computer down and decided i would try a "System recovery" (press F11 before boot up). Started recovering and then came up with error "0x400 100 130000 1002" and would not proceed any further.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! So i get the recovery discs that were made when the laptop was purchase. Ask the BIOS to boot from disc and guess what nothing.

When i try to boot i just get a black screen and the message "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart".

I have downloaded a Vista system recovery file and burnt to CD. Sounds like the laptop tries to read the CD but NOTHING. Just proceeds to the BOOTMGR message.

Thanks very much for any help!

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Unfortunately, I have tried the above with NO luck.

It seems to me (but I might be wrong) that I require a Windows Vista laptop to create this recovery disc.

I only readily have access to Windows XP laptops. Is there no other solution, which does not involve a Vista laptop?

As a last resort, how would I go about completely wiping everything? Will i need to go into DOS mode and if so how do i do this?

Thanks

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

Also, would i be able to reconstruct (using the instructions above) a recovery disc for my Vista machine using Windows 7????

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Tap F8 repeatedly at boot to get options.

Select Repair your computer and get to the Command Prompt.

Type chkdsk c: /f /r to scan and repair bad sectors.

Then Try fixmbr options etc.

But you tried a Factory Recovery and it failed halfway through. So even if booting is fixed, half the OS may be missing. At least at this time of night.

It is possible to set the Recovery Partition to boot but tricky from a command prompt.

Any idea why you cannot boot a CD or USB Flash stick? Have you made them and tried on working computers?

Is the BIOS Boot order set to

CD then USB then Hard Drive?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Note: I mentioned RP again because although it failed once, it's worth another shot.

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

I had this problem recently and 'missing bootmgr' was a result of a faulty hard drive.

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

To clarify I had the problem, fixed it with a start-up disk and the problem kept coming back. Ran a test of the hard drive using Seagate Sea Tools, this indicated the hard drive had bad sectors. Installed a new hard drive and problem stopped.

Like this post
307camel

Likes # 0

UPDATE......

I have found an old boot CD of mine which I made years ago, using a program called Ghost.

The laptop booted fine.

This proves, hardware is working okay.

Is there any way of interrogating the hardrive to see if the recovery partition is accessible for me to recover....or is this pointless.

I think the BOOTMGR error arrived because I started to do a system recovery (and hence windows was deleting itself to then reinstall) but then an error occurred. Hence this leaves me with some stuff mising - BOOTMGR being one of these????

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Much easier now it is booting again.

Service Manual is here

Recovery: See Page 114

You can double check the partition is actually there, by Start search diskmgmt.msc to Start Disk Management, which displays all the partitions.

If it is there, and method on Page 114 above, does not work, then another way is for the Partition to be marked 'Active' and reboot.

Use Partition Wizard Bootable CD to do that. (may needed to Unhide it too. Right click the Partition for options)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

When performing a Factory Recovery, nothing should be connected to the notebook (except ext keyboard and mouse, if used)

Like this post
JayDay

Likes # 0

With HP pressing F11 at boot up will start the recovery from the recovery partition (if it exists)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers