We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

ie8 freezing

awest3

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm using windows 7 and IE8. Sometimes when I'm browsing the spinning circle comes on and I do not get to the new page. If I use the back arrow and then the forward arrow the page comes up instantly.

Any ideas on what may be causing this..?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not had another Anti-virus program downloaded and not removed it properly.

Download Firefox and try that to see if it is any quicker.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks for these suggestions but my point is that I've been using all the listed software for years and never had a problem until W7. I've tried all the suggestions but the issue still remains. I thought it would be a known issue but it looks like its not. Any other suggestions gratefully received. Al

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I know you've run 'without add-ons' but have you reset the browser to default? Internet options- advanced and reset tab. See if it's working ok then. If it is then enable your add-ons a couple at a time in case it's one of them causing IE to slow down connecting to new pages. Also check that IE is the default browser.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

open ASC and use the tool to free up the RAM, I get this sometimes with xp ie8, works a treat.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

yep, tried these thanks. Its not a massive problem, like I said I thought it would be a known issue.

I think I'll just have to live with it for a while.

Thanks again Al

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What protection do you run from Emisoft? Just the free protection or paid for. Could be something there that's slowing IE.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

just the free stuff.. thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Go into Command prompt and type sfc /scannow and press enter on your keyboard and see if that finds any problems.

Have you checked Device Manager and made sure Compatibility mode is ticked under tools.

When the circle is spinning go into Task manager processes and see what is using up all of the CPU.If nothing running System idle process should be showing about 97% which is normal,Anything else using up a lot of the CPU let us know what.

Just noticed that you are using MSE.Switch the anti-spyware program off on that and see if it makes any difference.I find it is a bit like the tea timer on spybot it interferes with other security programs and I always had it switched off.

Then go into Services and make sure Windows defender is switched off and stop it from running.It is not needed and uses up a fair bit of the CPU when updating.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Have you tried running Event Viewer and look for events/faults at around time of IE8 freeze. It might give a clue to solving problem.

Like this post
awest3

Likes # 0

Thanks, I'll have a go at these suggestions. Al

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?