We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rooter not working, please help

Sneeze1

Likes # 0

Hi I have an ADSL Briadband Modem Ethernet rooter which connects to the internet but lately I have to keep pressing the button at the back to reboot it or I can't get on the internet. I am with TalkTalk and I rang up their technical line but I couldn't understand what the Indian woman was saying.

She at first asked me the model and the number then said Talk Talk couldn't recognise the number, and I would have to call my service provider. I said it had their name on it.

Then they asked me to ring back on my mobile while they checked the line. I said I didn't have much credit and she said someone could come to my house at a cost of £49, so I opted to use my mobile and had to go through all the options again and ended up with a different person, so I had to explain everything again.

Can you tell me how I can get the modem repaired and if it could be wearing out. The woman said she could talk me through it as I said I wasn't technically minded. This is going to be complicated, seeing as I can't understand what she is saying.

Not all the lights are lite on the modem and the light that shows I am connected is orange, while only the power button is green all the others are orange.

Many thanks and hope you can help me?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make an model of router?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Sneeze1

Likes # 0

Make an model of router? It is a SmartAx Modem 882 from Talk Talk.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Another good reason why not to use Talk Talk as your ISP. I have a friend who has been driven to despair by TalkTalk's customer service !!!

Like this post
Sneeze1

Likes # 0

Who is better then TalkTalk? I would go with Virgin but they are expensive and don't offer free broadband.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

set it up as per the instructions here

Ensure that your router is set to an "always on" connection.

The following instructions identify how to do this for the MT882:

Open your web browser, type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press enter

In the box that appears type admin for the username and password and press OK

Click on basic then wan setting in the left hand side menu

Click on the pencil icon on the far right of the line of data that appears Scroll down and click on the small magnifying glass just above the submit button - in the popup window click on "always on" at the bottom of the window (just above the submit button) then click submit and close in the popup window.

Back in the main window click on save all at the bottom of the left hand menu then click OK to the "do you want to save all" message (note - do not click submit in the main window or it will reset to connect on demand)

Close the browser - done

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'