We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Opening a Router port

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

According to U-Torrent, I need to open a router port as it's being slowed down. I'm wary about meddling too much, can anyone advise. It's a D-Link DSL 2680.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

seehere

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thankyou Fruit Bat, seems a tad too involved for little old me, especially with my ham fisted track record! Unless there's a simpler way, I think I'll tolerate the slow downloading speed.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Try this, I found it reasonably simple when I did it many years ago or buy the software.Port forward.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks Chronos, unsure if it's a freebie or whether there's cash involved. Completely in the dark about the procedure or if there's potential for catastrophe if I persist. After download...what then??

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Scroll down and Select your router from the list.

An advert page appears, click Skip (top right).

Scroll down for the list of progs/apps you want to open a port for. When you click one, you will get free step by step instructions.

I remember finding it a bit confusing too.

By the way, when you connect to router admin pages (type 192.168.1.1 in your browser bar), have a hunt around for an option to backup/save your router settings. If you ever mess anything up you will be able to restore it.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Robin, clear if worryingly convoluted! I'm up to "Forwarding the port". When I do this, is there potential for router damage? I'm unclear what Forwarding refers to...Forwarding to who or where?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You won't damage anything.

I won't explain Port Forwarding myself. See the first few links here.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks Robin.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more