We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cant install CD rom for Epson 1260 scanner on XP

pcdimwit
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a 2nd hand epson 1260 scanner, its installed on my Vista laptop OK but it wont accept the CD rom on my Windows XP properly, it says there was a previous installation and keeps coming up with a window saying that I must click "yes" to uninstalling all previous installations of the programme but this window keeps coming up ad-infinitum and wont let me go forward - what can I do?? tried to uninstall the Epson progs. from the control panel but the CD rom still keeps saying there are previous installations to be removed, thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

OK, I am away at present and wont be able to move that Epson folder in the C drive till I am back, I just didnt want to reload the Epson CD rom until I knew about this Epson folder in C drive, it must have appeared in C drive AFTER I first installed the Epson CD rom, where should I move the folder to?? do I take it out of C drive and put it somewhere else, and name it with another name not called Epson?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Should I rename the Epson folder in C drive as another name NOT being Epson? and where should I move it to? Do I move it out of the C drive to document or somewhere, I wont be back to sort this out till end of the month and thats why I didnt want to re-install the Epson CD rom after all the trouble with the first install. thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I posted that message twice because I didnt realise that the thread had gone on to a 2nd page - PCDIMWIT

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Move it anywhere convenient or rename.

Say, the app looks for C:\whatever\epson and you have renamed it to epson2 or moved it anywhere then the original no longer exists and you will get a "Can't find...." error.

Then you know it might still be needed and put it back in its rightful place or rename it back.

Like this post  
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

I'll try moving it to documents with title "Epson folder" when I am back on 21st and see what happens when I try and reload the CD rom on that computer. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

This is very weird, I have just tried to re-install the CD rom from the Epson scanner and it just "stops" on the section called epson Smart panel and has a little window in the centre green page saying "set up is seraching for installed components" and just wont go forward even after 15 mins., so I plugged in the scanner and when I find the scanner in "My computer" in start menu, I click on the icon showing the Epson printer and when I click on that it brings up a window with an option of "scan" whcih opens the Epson Smart panel and then it says "registry error" but if I click on the "get picture from scanner wizard" it opens the microsofs own scanner wizard and I can actually scan a photo that way, but not being able to properly install the CD rom with the Epson printer is still not working on this XP laptop. PCDIMWIT

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Download the software from epson and try again.

I presume your 1260 means Epson 1260 Perfection Photo. See link.

(do it on the XP machine, it may auto-detect which OS you are running and limit choices)

Also click the On-line Support and Manuals section and look at FAQs

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Hi, It says on the CD that came with the canner "Epson perfection 1260, Epson perf. 1660 PHOTO, Scanner software CD-rom disc vol.1.00 eng/french. It installed all OK on the Vista laptop (with a bit of messing about). I have clicked on that link you sent, and YES, it does bring up that I am on a windows XP 32 bit system and then gives the list of the progs, should I download them all?? will have to leave it a bit and go out now, but will be back this afternoon, (thurs. 22nd) thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

should I install the "creativity software" and "other software" as well as the Epson twain?? thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post
pcdimwit

Likes # 0

Ive installed from that link you sent all of the programmes (some would load) but I have got in the control panel in "add or remove prgrammes" the Epson twain 05, this shows as only being 1.03 mb, but the "copy utility 3.5" shows as being 67.09mb and the Epson Copy factory as being 73.59mb, there isnt the smart panel "lightbulb" icon at all on the desktop and if I click on "all programmes" in the start menue the Twain 05 doesnt appear to be there at all but the Epson Software, Epson scan to web and Epson copy factory folders are showing. I havent tried to connect the scanner yet because there is no "smart panel" showing at all, do you think it could be that my XP windows laptop is running service pack 3?? that link you sent DID recognize my computer as being an XP 32 bit edition. Thanks PCDIMWIT

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room