We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stuttering video

ronec

Likes # 0

I have BT Internet, connected wirelessly to my laptop. A speed test shows I get approx 5.5mbps download speed. I cannot watch BBCi Player, or YouTube videos etc any larger than the small standard size. Even then the video stops and starts. If I increase screen size, the video will just about play, but stops more than it starts. According to info, I should be able to watch HD with 5.5mbps, but I can hardly watch normal TV. I am sat within 4 feet of the router, so distance is not the problem. Any ideas?

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Do you have the latest version of Flash Player? When you have a You Tube video playing right click and then click on "Settings" - if the "enable hardware acceleration" is checked, then uncheck it.

You don't say what OS you are using but to play HD in iPlayer requires

"A modern computer with a graphics card and processor than can handle the graphics, otherwise playback will be choppy"

this is from the iPlayer site. Your broadband speed should be fine as the minimum requirement is 3.2mbps.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi difarn. Thanks for the info. I checked the settings and unchecked the box. It has improved the video experience to a degree that there is only the occasional stutter now. I run Vista Home Premium AMD Turion 2.2Ghz 4GB Ram NVIDIA GeForce Go6100 (which I think is fairly basic) It is now watchable so, again, thanks for the info. I will update the player, I have just noticed that it is slightly out of date.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Speed test sites do a check for a few seconds, however during prolonged use this can vary greatly. I think the prerequisite to any good internet experience, whatever device you & regardless of it's cost is a decent internet connection.

Hove you checked to see if your actual connection is as good as you can get it, dodgy wiring, on ADSL cheap filters, SKY boxes without filters, badly fitted telephone extensions etc, any of these can cause a slowdown.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...