We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound doesn't work

SoundlessMan

Likes # 0

I know this is a common problem, but I'm not getting the right answers. Something is amiss.

I had a computer which had sound. Then the sound stopped working. I don't have speakers, the sound comes through the monitor.

I then got a new computer at some point but used the same monitor. No sound. So I figured the monitor? I checked the drivers and clicked update. Still no sound. Volume is up but no sound. So I got another monitor and guess what... no sound. This is two computers with two different monitors and no sound. What the hell am I doing wrong? Anyone at all?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

First to ask the obvious have you connected a cable for the sound between the monitor and the computer? This isn't the same cable as for the video.

Like this post
SoundlessMan

Likes # 0

All cables are in. I should mention that headphones also do not work on this new computer, whereas on the old one at least headphones did work.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

OS?

Are you saying that you have never had sound from this new computer? How old is it? Did you ask the supplier?

Like this post
SoundlessMan

Likes # 0

no ive never had sound :( its not new and its awful vista

ok ok i found this

( Download and install the driver for your sound card Your sound card is missing a driver.

Click to download the driver from the C-Media website

Download and extract the driver files

Click Save or Save as, and then save the file to your Desktop. If you can’t choose where to save the file, you’ll need to find it and copy it to your Desktop. When you download files, most web browsers save them to the Downloads folder on your computer.

To extract the contents of the compressed folder, right-click the folder you saved to the Desktop, click Extract All or Extract Here, and then follow the instructions.

Double-click the extracted folder to view its contents.

Note If the folder contains a readme file, release notes or installation instructions, we recommend you read that information before starting the installation.

Install the driver

To start the installation, double-click the install file. This file will be identified as either an Application or a Windows Installer Package file in the Type column to the right of the file name.

Follow the steps in the installation wizard. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Additional information

The model name of your sound card is CMI8738. )

so... after getting it to admit there is a problem I have installed what it says. extracted the files and the tried to set it up.

It asks me if I'm sure. I say yes. Then it says "! Don't support this platform" and that's it. Nothing. :(

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you sure that the card is CMI8738. How did you find that? What does device manager show?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you download the driver from here - cmedia downloads?

Like this post
SoundlessMan

Likes # 0

Hmm :/ It's what it said when it said I was missing the driver and give me a link.

Device Manager doesn't say anything of the sort under monitor is says Generic PnP Monitor and under sound it says C-Media PCI Audio Device.

Like this post
SoundlessMan

Likes # 0

the link it gives me goes to this www.cmedia.com.tw/Upload/Download/Driver/_PCI-8738-091211-7.12.8.1740(W7-RC-01).zip

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What make and model pc?

Like this post
SoundlessMan

Likes # 0

Emachines I have no idea how to find out the rest. It's 232gb Hd. lol. I don't know >.<

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer