We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading my PC to game?

baynesy

Likes # 0

Hi, I've recently got back into gaming, and wanted to upgrade my PC as it's pretty out of date. I have 2GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT graphics card and an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.08 Ghz processor.

How should I upgrade, what parts should I get: a new processor/RAM/graphics card or should I just try to sell this PC and get a new pre-built one? I want to be able to play COD: MW3 and BF3 etc.

Thanks in advance

PS. I don't want to spend more than £250, although if I got a new PC I'd max at £500

Like this post
baynesy

Likes # 0

I also have a big hard drive, as well as NAS stroage, so I'm not worried about upgrading that.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I think you have answered your own question. Your PC is very old and I think that you would do better to buy or build a new one.

Here is a quick spec:

Pentium G620 £48+(CPU).

Gigabyte GA-H61M-B2-S3 £42+ (mobo).

4GB Corsair PC1066 £22+(RAM).

Cooler-master GX450W £27+ (PSU).

HD 6850 £100+ (Graphics).

Case of your choice,new optical drive and a hard-drive size your choice. I have added optical dive and hard-drive as yours will use a IDE connection and the new Mobo has only Sata ports on it. You could transfer Your XP operating system over but in my opinion this would be a good opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7.

This spec give scope to upgrade if you wish in the future.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more