We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphics Card Upgrade. Confused by PCI Express versions..

Pizz88

Likes # 0

Hi all,

My PC currently has a ATi Radeon 5450 HD. It came with the PC, but i'm looking to upgrade. I believe this is a PCi Express x16 card.. A little confused as to the PCi Express versions.. and what I can fit.

Also any recommendations on cards would be great. My budget is anything under £100. I'm not looking for a stellar card as I know these are very expensive, but a good improvement for gaming which supports HD.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What make/ model of PC or make/model of motherboard? I would not worry to much about what PCI express actually means this is basically the slot in which your graphics card fits.

Is your card one of these HD 5450. if so and it is what is known as low profile, which means that it is a smaller card in regards to height as opposed to,let say normal graphics cards. So this is why you need to post your PC make and model so we can see what size GPU it can take.

Like this post
Pizz88

Likes # 0

Its a Dell Inspiron 570. Yes, thats my current card. Its a dell motherboard. The case isn't restrictive in any way to the physical size of the card.

For more information, i've attached a html report of my full system from CPU-Z here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?obuutbnoaq8z71d

Hope it helps you answer my question,

Thanks

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Not really sure why you provided the above download as by telling me the model of your Dell made it easy to get information.

You might find that you are limited on upgrade to your GPU as you only have a 300W power supply and chances are that will not be enough.As far as I can tell you should be able to fit any ATX power supply into your case. A minimum these days is 500W but that is not to say you can get away with a little less.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...