We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CHKDSK Disc Check

ponytail

Likes # 0

I just rebooted my PC but before it started I got the following message on a blue background. Checking file system on C The type of the filw system is NTFS A disc check has been requested windows will now check the disc Stage 1 CHKDSK is verifying files Stage 2CHKDSK is verifying indexes Stage 3 Verifying Security Descriptors Does anyone know what this is I have had a couple of times previously

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Operating system?

Windows is carrying out a disk check to check the drive with the op system on it has o be done before windows starts using the drive.

Best to let it complete, if its doing it regularly then if XP

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

or if the volume dirty bit is set, each time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...