We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Picture recovery program from woodchip

Graham*
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have lost a folder of pictures. I've tried several programs to find them with no luck so far.

If woodchip is out there, do you still have that program that found pictures even if they had been deleted, please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What have you tried so far?

Campic Restore

Like this post
Confab

Likes # 0

This one is very good

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

CampicRestor is the one you are referring to, as per Fruit Bats' post.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks both, I'll go for Campic in a while, I've been tasked with other things right now...

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Digital Image Recovery now running, 9574 images so far. Here's hoping I can search the results by name.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You can open the D.I.R. folder and actually watch your pics appearing. They are auto-saved into the main DIR Folder in your C:Programs. You can also delete any that you do not wish to keep.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Trouble is, they're just numbered. It's up to 44,000 now, not a quarter way through. I've looked at the first 2,500, many are off the news.

Is there a way to limit the search, I wonder?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

You could try putting the prefix .jpg into the search line.

When using the program on a hard drive, it will pick-up every little icon from every program on the PC (they are all images) - that is why you get so many!

I suggest that you stop the process now, if not already done so. You can then go to the folder where all these images have been saved, probably D.I.R. in C:Programs and save any that you wish to keep in a separate folder while deleting the rest.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - although CampicRestor does work on hard drives, it is really intended for use on Camera Cards and similar.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I have Acronis back-ups on an external drive, could I do a backup now, restore to one of the old backups with hopefully the missing pictures, then once saved, restore to my latest backup?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more