We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Removing a program previously placed in startup folder...

Florio

Likes # 0

Quite a while ago I somehow managed to get Jdownloader to run on computer startup (Windows 7, Home Edition). Now that I don't use the program so often, and seeing that it really slows down startup, I would like to remove it. The problem is that I cannot seem to find the right startup folder. I seem to recall that when I originally put Jdownloader in the folder, there was nothing else in there. Anyway, I've tried following different suggestions found on internet (e.g., going to msconfig etc.), but none of these seem to work as I cannot find the program where I would expect it to be. And there is no option in the settings of the program itself. Any ideas?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There is an alternative to using msconfig. I find the free software CCleaner very helpful in controlling what programs and components run at startup (there are always a lot more of them than you think). The list shown in cCleaner is always much longer than the listing under Startup programs. But you will need to know what you are doing in order not to mess up your system.

Run CCleaner > Tools button > Startup button. Carefully Disable or Delete.

Like this post
Florio

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61, I had actually come across this suggestion and, since I do have CCleaner installed, tried to remove the program in this way. The problem is that Jdownloader is not listed amongst the startup programs!!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try msconfig again and this time open Services.Tick hide all Microsoft services and if it shows on there untick it.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

When using msconfig, don't forget to click on Apply before rebooting.

Like this post
Florio

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies. The incredible thing is that Jdownloader is not listed in the services. And yet the program IS launched at startup.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem with another program, and it took quite a lot of time and effort to find and remove.

You could try Revo Uninstaller (a free download program), and see if that picks the program or remnants up?.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The open source developers of Jdownloader say it is writen in Java, so perhaps a check if it is run as a browser helper object or Java plugin ?

If all else fails then ask on their support forum

Cheers HC

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Have you tried looking in the StartUp folder - go to Start - Programs - StartUp. If it's there just delete it.

Like this post
Florio

Likes # 0

I ended up removing the program (what I thought was) completely, and reinstalling, only to find that it is still launched at startup. Very strange!!!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here. You should find a way to remove it completely.enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings