We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rebuild Problems

SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Hi All, I have just rebuilt my computer, new motherboard, new video card, new power supply, new RAM, new hard disc, new monitor. The problem is that when I start it up sometimes I get an image on the screen and sometimes I don't. When there is no image it appears that there are no USB ports active as well. I haven't been able to put an operating system on yet, as I want to get it booting up correctly every time, first time. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. Phil

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

*DDR3 memory is only supported by installing AM3 CPU

Like this post
SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Yes, so I believe, I was trying to install two sticks of DDR2 RAM as I don't have a AM3 processor installed.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Hmm, could be one of two things. Faulty ram,which I doubt is the case, but should be investigated anyway. Try using this: Memtest. Download the iOS version so you can boot from the burnt disk. Run the test with one stick of ram in at a time and again with both sticks in place.

There other possibility is a faulty motherboard which is a little more tricky to prove. As a matter of interest did you try the second DVD optical in your mobo without your other one connected?

Post back with Memtest results.

Like this post
SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus, I have tried it with two different sets of RAM, both sets identical, and the results are the same. If I use either stick of RAM on it's own it boots up o.k. It's only when I try to fill both slots the problem occurs. Phil

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Faulty mobo then.You could get round it by buying 1 stick of 2GB or 4GB ram and flog the 2 1GB sticks.

Like this post
SantasLittleHelper

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus, bit annoying though it's a brand new motherboard. Cheers, Phil

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

If its brand new the RMA it back to the seller and get a replacement. Get in touch with who sold it to you,explain the problems you are having, tell them what you have tried and you should be able to send it back free of charge and providing they confirm the fault you will get a replacement. I had to do it on more than one occasion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good