We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anti Virus but no internet connection

Lightman
Resolved

Likes # 0

At my local camera club we have a PC which has no connection to the internet; however there are many occasions when we have to use USB memory sticks or CDs from club members or visiting speakers which leaves us open to attack by viruses which has inevitably happened this week. The major problem we have found in not having an internet connection is that we cannot update our Antivirus, AVG, without someone taking the PC home and connecting to their internet, needless to say this doesn’t get done. Is there an Antivirus programme available that doesn’t need an internet connection to load/run but that allows updates to be made by someone getting the updates on their PC and transferring them to ours by memory stick? I’m not necessarily looking for a freebie, we don’t mind paying (did I really just say that?).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A quick search found this, http://www.usbantivirus.net/

It costs and I've never used it so can't recommend or otherwise.

Like this post
Lightman

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave 13, I have emailed them and fully explained our situation and asked if and how their product would work in our situation. Will keep you posted.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Look forward to hearing if they're any good. More info for the site, http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/usbantivirus.net

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

*"The major problem we have found in not having an internet connection is that we cannot update our Antivirus, AVG, without someone taking the PC home and connecting to their internet................."

Lightman, there may be a solution to your problem and that's for someone to download the updates using their own connection, save them to a USB memory stick, and update AVG using those saved files - here's how:

1) If you're using AVG Free then you'll find the updates here. The ones you need are the "Virus definitions" and "Definitions for Identity Protection".

2) Save the two files to a memory stick.

3) On the camera club's PC, open AVG, click the "Tools" menu and choose "Update from Directory". Pint AVG to the folder on the memory stick where the updates are held.

I've never tried this myself but it should work. Note that the update files are on the large side but they shouldn't take too long to download for someone with a fast Internet connection.

Let us know how you get on.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Avast offer a similar method of downloading the updates. Avast Manual update download I am sure that most other well known anti-virus companies do as well. I have used this method to sort out infected machines where a virus has denied that machine normal access to the internet.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Have the club buy a mobile broadband dongle, it'll cost very little to run per year if you only use it for those updates. And your likely to find that you'll use it for club emailing as well which I would assume would be much more convenient anyway to be able to communicate club business from the club premisses.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Are there any BT Openzone/BT FON hotspots in range of the club PC? If any of your members have BT as ISP at home, I think it's free to log on to the web that way when out and about. They'll need to be willing I suppose, and you would need a USB WiFi dongle.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...