We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screen blinking - is it the two graphics cards?

herc182
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have windows 7 64bit version with an intel graphics card (which apparently does the less demanding work) and a Nvidia 3gb card for more graphic intensive stuff).

I am not sure if THAT is why, but the screen blinks sometimes. Off and on it seems. It happened when on google chrome whilst on a few websites.

The other thing I was wondering was if it was bitdefender. Again, not sure!

any ideas?

I have a dell laptop XPS if that helps

thanks

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

Hmmm - could it have been the intel card set to "maximise battery performance" when working on the battery? I just set it to "balance" (or even "max performance" and the screen stopped blinking....

odd

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I have windows 7 64bit version with an intel graphics card (which apparently does the less demanding work) and a Nvidia 3gb card for more graphic intensive stuff).

I have a dell laptop XPS if that helps

Can you explain a bit more about these Cards on your laptop? The Intel graphic has to be an integrated onboard but what's the Nvidia 3GB ?

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

Sorry I have two cards to provide graphics. An intel one seems to deal with less taxing graphics (2D) and the Nvidia is the dedicated graphics card for 3D work.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Which XPS have you?

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Nothing in that spec mentions 2 graphic cards, and it wouldn't make any sense to do so. Your problem lies somewhere else !

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Ah, I see what you mean. Your laptop supports automatic graphic switching but whether it was the cause of your problem then I don't know ,sorry.

If your laptop is still under warranty then why not give the Dell support a call, they're very good.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What you have is a CPU with an integrated graphics unit plus a GT 555M graphics card. which in effect means that less graphic intensive tasks are handled by the CPU and gaming etc would be handled by the GT 555M, this is what I believe anyway, Dell,as usual do not give much detail on the components usedin their PC.s. As to whether you have a problem with the switching, I have no idea.

Like this post  
frybluff

Likes # 0

The system uses (or is meant to) "Optimus" to decide whether a graphics task can be handled by the "onboard graphics", or if the power of the dedicated graphics card is needed.

I confess I don't know exactly HOW it does that, but, as "battery modes" tend to throttle back on graphics, to conserve power, I tend to suspect there may be a clash, when you are running in battery mode.

Whether you can adjust anything, to prevent this, I wouldn't know, but Dell support are very good, and will advise you.

Like this post
herc182

Likes # 0

just to confirm it was definitely the issue i noted above because the flickering has stopped completely. Basically having the graphics (onboard) set to "max battery" seems to conflict with the battery operations anyway. Have set it to balanced and there have been not further issues

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger