We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security Attack

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I run Zone Alarm on Windows 7 which has recently blocked '3 severe security threats' which has resulted in the computer shutting down for 5 minutes.

Does this mean I have something lurking on it still? I have a recent drive image which I can easily load if need be, or will Zone Alarm sort it out by itself in time?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I use the Zone Alarm Pro, paid for version for 3 computers.

I must admit this is the first time in 10 years or more that I've had what seems to be a serious attempt to breach the security firewall.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forgive my ignorance, as I don't use ZA, but isn't there a log somewhere you could check up on to see what kind of threat it was? Usually security apps block and warn of malicious scripts, not shutting down the PC.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would run Malwarebytes to see if it throws up anything and then a full scan with ZA (like rdave13 I don't use ZA)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I also use a different firewall, but suggest like others you run a scan with your anti virus programme, and I like Superantispyware as well as Malawarebytes to look for malware. If all the scans are negative, I think you are ok.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The Zone Alarm log shown an attempt at the same time as the shutdowns. But I've never had the shutdowns before, so I don't know if that's a normal thing or not. When Windows restarts, it tells me it's recovered from an unexpected shutdown, and would I like it to check online for a solution to the problem.

I'll run the scans now as I have to admit that over the years I've relied on the software to sort everything out for me. Probably most do now, 10/15 years ago you had to become involved in these matters to sort it out (or phone a friend). I think we've all become complacent with the reliance of the software's apparent infallible ability to self maintain:(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......