We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Skype via my switch?

pjbw

Likes # 0

I have my Windows 7 PC connected to my switch/broadband modem via an Ethernet cable. I have one Ethernet socket still spare on the switch. What I am considering is connecting a Skype phone (Philips VOIP855 say) via the spare socket and installing Skype on the PC. Then I would have Skype connected for audio calls when the PC is off and I could send files etc when the PC is on. Would this work, or is it not that simple?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

In the absence of any other answers, I would say, one way to find out is to try it!!

Like this post
pjbw

Likes # 0

That's possibly what I will finish up doing. Only snag is that the Philips VOIP855 series seems to be the front runner and costs about £120 ! I would hate to have it connected and then find that I cannot access Skype on my PC.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

My guess is that it would work fine - Install Skype first if not already on your PC.

(I use Skype too, on Win7)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

[Home & Skype phones]

Have a look at this .....

http://shop.skype.com/phones/

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

I assume the switch you meant is the spare LAN port at the back of your router, as long as the router is on & connected to internet then you can sign in Skype on the Philips VOIP855 after setup & you don't need the PC for configuration.

Quick setup guide click here

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Funny enough. I have a Skype enabled TV. I can chat on the TV to my family but I cannot send files. I have to do that on a Personal Computer.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Are these questions real.????

Like this post
Rob Gibson

Likes # 0

I have Skype running on my desktop which is connected to my router via ethernet. I also have a Skype Dualphone connected to the same router via ethernet. Both are on and logged in on the same account at the same time. I can call out on either, and when a call comes in both ring and I can answer either. With one in use I can still use the other for calls. The phone will not handle file transfers though.

Like this post
pjbw

Likes # 0

Thank you Rob, That answers my question.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad