We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help connecting to internet

ladyjaynelikeschoc

Likes # 0

Hya. I have recently bought a usb wireless adaptor for my pc so i can put it upstairs. However the driver has installed ok but i having that old IP address problem, and it saying i have limited or no connectivity despite me rebooting comp and also trying the repair. The IP address appears to be one of those 169. ones. Can you help me too find the correct address or sort this problem, i am afraid i am not that good with these computer things!!!!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The most common reason for getting a "169.254.x.x" address is that the adapter hasn't actually connected to the router to get its correct address. You don't say which version of Windows you're using, but have you 'scanned' for Available Wireless Networks, selected the one whose SSID (network name) matches that of your router and then selected the option to "Connect" to it? You would probably be prompted for an encryption key, which may be on a label on the underside of the router, and should then be connected.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

The first thing to rule out would be whether it's a problem of range - Temporarily move the computer and router as close as possible to each other and see what the result is - if it works then you know that the wireless range isn't good enough with your current setup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...