We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which of these calculations for the Paging File is best?

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi as the heading says...

Which of these two calculations for the Paging File should we be following?

1 - The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

support.microsoft?

2 - Setting the paging file's initial size and maximum size to the same value increases efficiency because the operating system does not need to expand the file during processing. Setting different values for initial and maximum size can contribute to disk fragmentation.

technet.microsoft?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The average user is best served by leaving the page file alone. Windows 7 does an excellent job of managing the page file settings for most people.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

I don't know wether I could, would or should be described as an average user or not. I guess that depends on from who's point of view? But either way, what I can say is that I for one am always striving to have my PC performing at its optimum: and if it means tweaking the status quo - and it usually does - then so be it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Your mission, should you wish to take it, is to test both scenarios and let us know.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The page file is basically wannabe RAM.As you say MS's Technet states that page file should be 1.5 times the ram that you have. If you're running at 4gb's of ram then you don't need that much. However there are some programs that are out there that are written to utilize it. In that case you want to run 1:1 ratio. I know I took the long way around a short bush to say that. Set your page file to 4gb's (that'll allow easy swap) and forget about it.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Robin

I was about to take the gauntlet, when my screen went black for a few seconds and then came on again. There was a message...

"Nvidia Display Driver stopped responding then recovered"

I looked on the net and it would seem that this problem started way back in '07' and is still going strong, without solution. or perhaps I should say in spite of many - so called - solutions. I have a new PC Windows 7 and the latest Nvidia driver. I had trouble with the last two drivers, I thought I had beaten the curse till this happened.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

As it happens I have got 4GB RAM. You say...

"set your page file to 4gb's (that'll allow easy swap) and forget about it."

But what you're not saying is...do I set both 'minimum' and 'maximum' to 4gb or?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

To be honest Windows 7 is pretty good at setting the right parameters for the page file unlike XP. I would leave it at what ever it has set it to.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Chronus

You may be right, however that doesn't alter the fact that everytime I click on a link, a button, or an icon I have to wait an eternity for anything to initiate.

I've run every test I know and a few I didn't, but to no avail. Everything tells me my PC is running at it's optimum and there are no viruses, malware, spyware, trogens, worms or anything else that shouldn't be there.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I thought your original request was just general query. But you are saying your PC is running very slow?

Any processes in Task Manager hogging CPU? (Show Processes from All Users)

Have you checked how much is loaded at startup with Msconfig?

Does PC run OK in Safe Mode?

Have you run Ccleaner recently?

Enough free space on C:\ drive?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi robinofloxley

Click Here for my other thread

"Any processes in Task Manager hogging CPU?":- 'No'

"Have you checked how much is loaded at startup with Msconfig?":- 'Yes 8 all security'...

Avast

MalwareBytes

Ad Muncher

SuperAntiSpyware

iolo

SpywareTerminator Shield

spywareTerminator Update

secunia PSI

"Does PC run OK in Safe Mode?":- 'Yes'

"Have you run Ccleaner recently?":- 'Everyday'

"Enough free space on C:\ drive?":- '321Gb Free / 144GB Used'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote