We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop with firewire

Newuser939

Likes # 0

I have a five year old HP laptop which has been fine. However, as some programs become more complex it is getting to be a bit slow and the time might have come to invest in a newer model. The problem is that my camcorder, which does not need replacing, connects to my laptop by firewire. When I look at what is available, there seem to be almost no laptops with firewire ports. Does anyone know of a range of laptops (preferably 17" screen size) or, possibly all-in-ones up to 21" screen size which have a firewire port, or at least the facility to take an express card so that one could be added?

Like this post
karmgord

Likes # 0

Why not buy a "normal" laptop and a firewire express card?

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

karmgord,

As I mentioned in my original post, that would certainly be a possibility, but I am not sure that many modern laptops even have the ability to take an express card.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You can get a USB2.0 Express Card adapter (Item 10 here).

Dunno what speed you would get through. Maybe a USB3.0 solution is available or coming soon?

Or Item 1. Does just that cable work?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Would this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Firewire-IEEE-1394-M-USB2-0-Male-Adaptor-Convertor-C-/130506528872?pt=UKComputingCablesConnectorsRL&hash=item1e62cb9868#ht3796wt_1185

work?

Like this post
Newuser939

Likes # 0

Thank you for the replies. However, judging from the reviews on the Amazon site, such adaptors do not seem to work with camcorders, which is the main point in my case.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This Sony has firewire and there may be more in the range but I did not check them all.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July