We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

should be an easy one

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, just want to format C drive and reinstall the OS which is XP PRO. Seems there are different ways.

Help please

Ray

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Enter R may be the repair solution for repairing your computer without loosing anything on your computer except your windows updates.

I believe that may be what it is for although I have never used it.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

load magic jelly bean and let it run and find all the product keys then write them down. then insert your xp disk and change the settings to run the computer from cd and follow instructions from there.

But before you even do that try to back up your file on a an external file if you need them for later

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks buteman but I do no have that option it seems.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. It will not matter what happens if I clone the drive or am I wrong here?

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Call me stupid but I have now found the sticker,the CD and the code. The sticker came off the PC some time back so I stuck it on a sleeve containing the CD. There was no CD with this PC as I said but now I remember I bought a XP Pro disk for another PC but never used it so I loaded it on this one. Senile dementia at 60 scary :-)

Ray

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Well that's good you found sticker etc :)

If laptop is an Asus and has still got recovery partition, then:

Restart your computer. Press F9 key immediately when the ASUS logo appears (or just keep tapping F9 ready for Asus logo coming up and it goes to menu) It should bring up a menu with the recovery procedure, including the installation of all the drivers and utilities. Follow the instructions. Your computer will be restored to the factory settings.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic but it is not a laptop. I tried recovery from the Windows CD but it failed saying something could not be installed and then it just stopped, left it overnight to no avail. Currently recovering everything from the clone but it takes hours and when it ends I am back to square one. I will try your suggestion once it finishes.

Thanks

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone and thanks for your help and suggestions. I have now restored my system to how it was. Reading through my postings and your replies it seems that I have failed to explain properly what I was intending to achieve. My fault entirely, all too easy to assume things.

Start afresh, I have 2 hard drives 320g clones of each other. Lots of useful stuff and also a load of dross that one accumulates over time slowing everything down.

I want to keep one with all my stuff on as say drive F and clean up the C drive to just the basics so is does not take a millenium to do anything.

Can change the drives in BIOS as required.

What say you.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Any help here please.

Ray

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days