We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

should be an easy one

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi, just want to format C drive and reinstall the OS which is XP PRO. Seems there are different ways.

Help please

Ray

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Change the boot order in the bios to CD/DVD then boot fro your XP disk and follow the prompts. Make sure you have all your Motherboard drivers etc before hand you can also download and burn XP SP3 or even slipstream it into your XP disk.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

This came O/S installed so I not have a disk. I can do this from another XP disk but I would like to use the correct license number for this machine. Can someone tell me how to find this please before I proceed.

Ray

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This may help

magical jelly bean

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Usually a COA sticker on the back or side of computer with the keycode on it.

If a laptop usually underneath it.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

This is an excellent bit of software, will pull a product code from any attached hard-drives. Produkey.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What is the make and model of your pc?

You may have a hidden 'restore to factory fresh' partition which would be far easier and as XP came pre-installed it would have been activated at the factory. This will be preserved if you use the 'restore to factory fresh'.

The key installed on your pc will be the pre-activated key (known as a SLP product key) and cannot be used (it won't work) for a fresh install from a CD/DVD. For that you have to use the key on the sticker on the case and then phone MS to activate.

For reinstall guidance, browse the guides on http://www.windowsreinstall.com/ it has screenshots.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

Don't forget to backup all your personal files and pictures before the reinstall. If you post the make and model of your computer we could probably help further.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks to all, lots of options, will let you know the outcome.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, the COA sticker is missing but I think it did have one when new. Jelly bean gives me a 25 digit code that it calls "CD Key" I have done this before a long time back on another PC but cannot remember exactly. As I recall, start from a CD and at some stage there is an option to select or enter "R". This is not the "Restore Console" which should not be used.

Restore to factory would be ideal if it exists and I can access it. Do not know the make, motherboard is ASUS P5 VD2-MXSE if that is relevant.

I will clone the drive to another HDD and disconnect it in case anything goes horribly wrong.

Ray

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you had a factory reset on your computer it would show up when opening my computer.and would be near the C Drive with about 30 Gb on it.

Just trying to remember I think mine showed as D Drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow