We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pics in outlook express

johnnyrocker
Resolved

Likes # 0

i just tried snding a couple of pics using outlook express, instead of being an attachment they ended up very large in the body part of the mail filling the screen, how can i change this please? XP pro sp3

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

you have misread my problem but thanks anyway

johnny

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My suggestion was only a stopgap until others find a solution. I gave up OE a year or more ago when moving to Outlook and W7.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Don't think I have misread your problem - you attached two pics to an email, and as well as attaching they also were placed in the body of the email (at a very large size). This is a common problem with Outlook Express - one of the reasons that Microsoft phased it out - and it has no connection with inserting a picture into the body of the mail which is quite a separate function.

I have corrected this problem many times for my students, but as I said in my first post the only way to do it (in my experience) is with a small registry tweak.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

my apologies my misreading post was for john bunyon who did not say his suggestion was a stopgap

johnny

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin

apologies for any misunderstanding and when i pluck up enough courage i might play with the registry.

johnny

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

johnnyrocker

You've nothing to apologise for - and playing with the registry can be scary. But if you back up first and then take it slowly you should be fine.

To back up Press Windows-R. Type "regedit" (excluding the quotation marks). Click OK. When the Registry window opens highlight My Computer (top) and click File then select Export. For ease of access select Desktop as the destination and give the file a name (eg regback). Click Save and let it backup.

If you did run into trouble just double clicking the file you've created will reinstate it in the registry.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

SeaUrchin

I've never seen the problem as you describe it, so can't comment on it or validate what follows:-

But I would have thought that changing the email to Plain Text format would have circumvented the issue entirely, as without any HTML surely there wouldn't be anywhere to insert the picture into the body of the email?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Also, the registry tweak that you refer to seems to be aimed at recipients of the emails, not senders. But maybe it resolves it for senders as well.....??

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Hi Batch

I'm sure you are correct re the use of Plain Text, although this tweak relates to image attachments also being displayed in the text, but does not of course stop you inserting a picture into the text (with the correct resolution) if you want to.

It does also work to stop the inline images being displayed as the sender makes the attachment.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin,

But just to avoid any ambiguity (for johnny rocker's benefit as well), when you have it set as Plain Text, the only two insert options available are:

1.File Attachment (which cannot, surely, be in the body of the email, as I've already said, there's no HTML into which to place a reference to it)

2.Text, which just gets inserted as if it were text that one typed.

So "although this tweak relates to image attachments also being displayed in the text, but does not of course stop you inserting a picture into the text (with the correct resolution) if you want to" surely only applies to HTML format emails.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more