We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dead pc

chippy+

Likes # 0

hi i was given a pc which had been working but has not been used for 3 years now dead i have tried a new power unit but there is no sign o life i have still to try new battery any ideas thanks chippy

ps asrock dual core dual chanel pc thanks Chippy

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

a little common sense make and model and Operating system

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Lack of any detail is quite stunning in a help forum.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

For any make and model that's been unused and not disturbed for 3 yrs, if there's no sign of life AT ALL after fitting a new PCU, the most likely fault is a duff mobo

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

which if any of these asrock motherboards is it? As at the moment it is not booting to POST or showing any signs of life on the motherboard the operating system and harddrive is immaterial.

I suggest you strip it down so that only motherboard, keyboard, mouse and monitor is connected and then attempt to get some sign of life. Is there no light on motherboard that will show it is getting power?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

As at the moment it is not booting to POST or showing any signs of life on the motherboard the operating system and harddrive is immaterial.

Could also be a dead CPU or bad contacts (dare I say corrosion) at the pins.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Would it still work if the CMOS battery was flat.Shows you what I know not a lot. bad fuse.Rocker switch at the back set to off.

Like this post
chippy+

Likes # 0

hi sorry about the delay in replying i cleaned and brushed out the pc with compressed air and then changed the battery also oil on the processor fan resulled works thanks chippy

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...