We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Essentials Anti Virus

bpzoom
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 7. Having used the likes of security systems Kapersky, McAfee and others over the years, I have been recommended to try the free Microsoft Essentials anti virus software. Has anyone experience of this and what is it like, for example its impact on the system start up time,and its general effect on system running speed. I posted this elsewhere and was advised it is more appropriate to the Helproom. Thank you.

Like this post
bpzoom

Likes # 0

Brilliant responses, many thanks to you all. If this was being hijacked I enjoyed it. I really appreciate your advice, and when McAfee runs out in 4 weeks I will chuck it out, and move to MSE. I hope McAfee is easily removable with all its tentacles.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Download Revo Uninstaller, a free program. Then use Revo to uninstall McAfee.

During the uninstall process you will be given the choice to Select All and then to Delete, DO SO, just accept all that Revo shows, though I know this would appear a bit frightening at first, never fear, this does work. You may then be given the same choices again and again DO SO, that is Select All and then Delete. After completion re-start your computer.

I always use Revo as above for all my uninstalls.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have run MSE on W7 since it first came on the market 18 months or so ago. I have not had any virus infections and Malwarebytes has never found anything the times I have run it. The footprint is negligable and my only criticism would be just the one daily update.

Like this post
bpzoom

Likes # 0

Once again, thank you. I will do as you say with the uninstall and get Malwarebytes Pro I have the free version at the moment.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Technotiger, so that's where you've been hiding?

As far as removing McAfee is concerned I would follow the instructions here and use their removal tool as instructed rather than Revo. Then run the registry cleaner in Ccleaner.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

rdave13

Hi, I suggested Revo because it is such a good program and apart from removing McAfee, the Poster would still have it for any other uninstalls at a later date.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nontek+rdave13

I have to agree with both of you,Both of those tools do a very good Job.

I have Revo installed so that is what I would use and I would use it on setting 4 to completely remove it.

If I never had Revo installed I would use the removal tool.

Nontek

I knew that you had been unwell and when I never seen you on for a while I was sort of expecting the worst.

But glad to see that you are on the way to recovery, like i said you helped me out in the past and no doubt you will do so in the future.

Welcome home.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

buteman

Cheers Friend.

bpzoom

Should have mentioned this earlier, but assuming you are new to this Forum, WELCOME - still the best forum on the Net!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nontek just left click bpzoom at the top of his post and open his profile.

I get him back as far as 2002 so I would not say new to the forum.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

buteman - thanks, just a bit rusty at the moment!

Ooops - apologies to bpzoom.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's new OS X Beta Seed Program: Run pre-release versions of OS X on your Mac

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer