We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Essentials Anti Virus

bpzoom
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 7. Having used the likes of security systems Kapersky, McAfee and others over the years, I have been recommended to try the free Microsoft Essentials anti virus software. Has anyone experience of this and what is it like, for example its impact on the system start up time,and its general effect on system running speed. I posted this elsewhere and was advised it is more appropriate to the Helproom. Thank you.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I also recently upgraded to Win7 and am using MSE, have done so since MSE first appeared. In my humble opinion it it excellent.

I would also recommend MalwareBytes Pro, worth every penny.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - MSE has no detrimental effects on performance of my laptop.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If you want a free AV, MSE is ideal for those who are not computer literate as it works completely in the back ground and updates with windows updates.

As good as most other free ones and OK for those running Vista or W7 but does slow down XP.

As far as the free ones are concerned Avast has the lightest foot print however there are some problems over the latest update Avast7 but I expect they will be sorted very quickly.

I ran MSE and Avast on two identical machines running XP and Avast was better.

Haven't tried the same experiment for Vista or W7

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

I have just seen buteman's comments in your other Post, must admit, I am surprised at what he says. I am sure that buteman is well aware that many of 'us' use MSE and Anti-malware programs together, without problems - I certainly have always run both.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nontek

I was just going with the way it worked for me using XP.It was really bad and I had to remove it.

Now it maybe entirely different in W/7 but if it was that good microsoft would sell it not give it away free.

I have always been of the opinion of any free anti-virus and a paid for version of any anti-malware program So I would go with your selection MSE and MalwareBytes Pro which can be bought on Amazon for £12.99 for a lifetime use.

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

MSE has been the only anti-virus I've had that hasn't suddenly stopped working on me, and it doesn't cause any slowdown whatsoever. I do like to keep ad-aware free running alongside it though

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hi buteman - I was not being critical, just commenting. I have only moved to Win7 since last weekend having just bought a shiny new laptop from Novatech, prior to that was using XP (actually still have XP on my desktop). I also run MBAM Pro on my desktop - it is on its last legs, so will be scrapping it soon.

You do know me in my old guise as Technotiger!!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

bpzoom

I hope you are convinced by now - didn't mean to hijack your Post!

Cheers

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Technotiger

Well my goodness it is nice to see that you are still about.Never recognized you with the different name.

You helped me out lots of times in the past often wondered where you had disappeared to and you have been here all of the time.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

been here all of the time ................

Except while I was in Hospital - several times, but on the mend now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes