We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD Drive not recognized by Windows

wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi,

I recently upgraded the majority of my desktop PC as my laptop is beginning to show issues, so I replaced hardware up to 8 years old. As a result, I now have a new motherboard with no IDE ports, but an IDE DVD burner. I had to order a connector so I could keep it in the system, which I desire for a few reasons, mainly because of the cheap fix for the meantime.

While I was waiting for the adapter, I had to make do with my XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive to try and install windows and my drivers etc. However, not being designed for this use, there were issues reading certain discs, mainly my copy of Windows 7, so I had to install XP and run the 7 installation disc networked from my laptop to get it to read the files correctly. Anyway, because of this, I had to set the SATA ports into IDE mode so that I could install and run XP without any additional drivers.

Once the adapter arrived, I connected it all up, and got the BIOS recognizing the drive perfectly fine, however, once windows was booted up, the drive wouldn't show, and there were no signs of it in Device Manager.

Yesterday, I got a copy of Windows 7 x64 to maximize the computer's performance, and tried booting from said DVD drive, and got it to load the set-up files, but once the first install screen had loaded, all traces of the drive once again disappeared. I went back into the BIOS and tried switching back the SATA port settings to AHCI mode and got the setup to recognize the drive perfectly and successfully installed windows from it.

However, after installing all of the motherboard drivers, the drive once again vanished from windows and device manager, and seemed to be replaced by an 'unknown device'. After checking one of the motherboard's device controllers in windows, the Drive is being recognized and is showing the device's name alongside my 2 hard drives, but I can't do anything further than see what details it can read from it.

What I would like to know is, baring in mind it seemed to work before had, is if I go into device manager and uninstall the drivers for the controller that should manage the drive according to this software, could it fix the issue without causing any other problems, should I remove the software itself that could be an issue, or is there some sort of fix for this baring in mind it is being recognized by a program?

If you need any more information just ask, and any advice would be appreciated

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Sorry, I'll add that I attempted the automatic driver updates in windows itself but it just keeps coming back as an unknown device

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...