We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing programmes on D drive

Joe G

Likes # 0

My new PC has a 40Gb SSD which I thought was a good idea to boost system speed. However it has now struck me that some programmes (particularly games) do not give you a choice of where to install the programme - is there any way around this?? I've read elsewhere and it is suggested there isn't which would be a downer to say the least - I thought there would be a way in Windows 7 (64 bit) to direct installation to my 1TB D drive. Hoping you can put my mind at rest!

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

nearly everything i downloaded etc gave a location during install as to where it would be put and giving a change option?

johnny

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make sure you always select "Custom Install" to get a chance of changing the default install location.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks - I seem to recall I have a few games on my old PC that did not give me a choice - maybe more do now - I suspect most of my games that worked on XP won't work on Win 7 64 bit

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

As johnnyrocker states all the games I have come across give an option during install of which drive/file to use. I used to do this with games programmes but then noticed that a lot of the files were still written to C: drive so my attempt at speeding things up were actually slowing things down as calls were being made to different drives for files. I now install to C:

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I have not come across a game that worked on XP and does not work on Windows 7 and I have something like 300GB of games. I too have a SSD boot drive (128GB) but all my games including Steam are on my 1TB secondary hard-drive. I have noticed no slow down whatsoever. Somtimes games or program's can be a bit sneaky when installing, EA's Origin is a case in point, it tried to install to the SSD which would have meant that the game BF 3 would also have installed there. But the option to install where you want is there it sometimes can be a little tricky to find.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Chronus - I've been doing a web search and found a solution using a coommand line that points the installer to teh D:drive - bookmarked it on my netbook but on PC now and can't find it again - will post it for others when I am on the netbook again. Is your system 64 bit then? So far I have only tried to install Magix Audio Cleaning Lab but that would not work - not tried anything else yet as my HDD was DOA and awaiting new one

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Dunno if Symbolic Links might be useful.

I don't use them myself. Hurts my head.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks - yes it was that type of text I was reading on the other forum - looks a bit advanced for me but I'm learning a lot since getting this PC!!

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Joe G

Yes I have 64 BIt Windows 7, I think you have misunderstood me all program's are actually on the SSD drive but all games are on the secondary (D). Before I upgraded to the Crucial M4 I was using a Vertex 2 60 GB which was more than enough for OS and program's with about 15 GB to spare. The first thing I do is move all the My folders to the D drive which means that any program's that needs a destination folder for output etc will automatically go to the My Documents folder on the D drive.

As for my games, most of which are through Steam, this is installed on the D drive so needs nothing more than a repair after reinstalling Windows and I am good to go, which with 50 to 80 games saves an enormous amount of time. One other thing not all games will work straight out of the box,so to speak, on Windows 7 64 Bit, the odd one might need a tweak or to, but as I said I have not had any game refuse to play.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

Thanks - many of my games are very old indeed - eg Battlefield 1942, Medal of Honour Allied Assault, Sudden Strike, Sim City 4. I tended to buy older games a) because I am too tight to buy newer ones and b) my previous PC was an Athlon 3000 1.9 Ghz so only older games would work on them. I will just have to see which ones will still work - at least now I know I can install on D drive - thanks for the tip re moving My Documents too that will be a big help I am sure

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination