We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus generating Phishing e-Mail !

boot-it-out
Resolved

Likes # 0

EVERY time I use Paypal a get a Phishing E-Mail telling me the usual story that my Paypal caaount is going to be limited unelss I update my details etc.

Suspecting that there is some sort of virus on my PC generating these messages every time I use Paypal, I have run thorough Boot-Time scans of my PC for viruses, together with Spyware checkers and found nothing.

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this - it just seem so strange that it happens every time I use Paypal, but not at any other time ?

Thanks

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 1

have you tried malware bytes known as MBAM sometimes?

johnny

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

From Paypal Report a Problem

Be sure to tell us about anything out of the ordinary, from fake emails and websites to unauthorized account activity.

If you believe you've received a phishing email, follow these steps right away:

1. Forward the entire email to [email protected]
  2. Do not alter the subject line or forward the message as an attachment.
  3. Delete the suspicious email from your email account.

We'll send you an email response to let you know if the email is indeed fraudulent. In the meantime, don't click on any links or download any attachments within the suspicious email.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Also more info, go to paypal: should I trust that email

Like this post
boot-it-out

Likes # 0

Malwarebytes program has sorted it - Many thanks for that suggestion.

Downloaded the Free version, ran a scan and "Trojan.agent" was found and successfully removed :-)

Have since made a test purchase with Paypal and no more Phishnig messages !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes