We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Powered USB hub for external hard drives?

br1anstorm

Likes # 0

For reasons mentioned in other posts (dead computer) I am having to try to run more than one external hard drive on a fairly old laptop.

This laptop has two USB 2.0 ports. But it clearly struggles to cope with the power demand of external hard drives. Some of my external drives have a single USB connection, others have two, one of which takes power from the second USB socket (I assume this indicates that different HDDs have differing power requirements and that some need more power than a single USB socket can provide). This means that often I can only run one external device at a time.

So I am thinking of getting a separate powered USB hub. But a quick online check reveals that not all powered hubs are the same, and some of them can't cope with running more one external HDD. Can anyone advise on which powered hubs are capable of coping at the same time with, say, two external drives, or a hard disk drive and an external CD-writer?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

I got this last year, To connect 1x3.5 + 2x2.5 Hard Disc Drives and 3xDVD Re-writers

Akasa Connect7- 7 port USB hub Click here

Like this post
br1anstorm

Likes # 0

Thanks Lazarus .... but YMMV. Some of the reviews of this Akasa hub suggest that it may not be able to handle more than one hard drive. The reviews on Amazon tell a similar story about many other brands too, although the MaxValue 13-port hub seems to perform better than most.

Some websites suggest that the design of hubs varies: in theory each port needs to be able to provide 500mA, but in many of then only one or two ports provide full power and it is assumed that other ports will be used by flash drives etc which need little power.

I found a US website at http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/1756.aspx which reviews some models. But the problem is that detailed spec on power-supply is rarely provided in the descriptions of the hubs currently on the market. So any expert advice on the power-configuration of hubs would be welcome.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

You are correct - I have a 6 port hub that has a 5v 2A power supply. Thats 3 ports and the hub with it's pretty multi coloured LEDS, I don't know where the other 3 ports are powered from!!!

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I've been running a Belkin self-powered USB hub for several years. It's had HDDs, game controllers, Flash drives and heaven knows what else plugged in, and has happily run them all.

All 7 ports are currently in use.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...