We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Facebook, friendly or best avoided?

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

Am at the age where all my grandchildren are computer literate and those over 18 (five of them) all use Facebook.

I am reluctant to sign up, but am missing a lot of the amusement side of things by keeping my head down so far. Email is an essential part of my life and like most people sufficient for purpose.

Am I just a fuddy duddy?

Is it possible to use facebook merely as an onlooker without having to reveal to others any part of myself?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You have to be very careful what you put in your profile (as little as possible), how you set the security settings and who you accept as your "friends". IMO providing you are careful then you can use Facebook as an onlooker. You do not have to post or comment. This forum, and especially Speaker's Corner, can reveal as much as Facebook at times.

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Oh - be surprised at what people do post. Some have no idea of privacy or what others may not find funny.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Is it possible to use facebook merely as an onlooker without having to reveal to others any part of myself"

That's what I have done, I used a 'pet' first name and surname (not my real one) and gave no details of myself. I made my profile private (not public) and only available to 'friends' Then got nieces to 'make me a friend' so that I can see and participate on posting on their wall and comment on their photos etc.

My 'Wall' doesn't have anything posted on it.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Woolwell and lotvic Thank you both, most helpful. I'll probably print off what lotvic said as a prompt when I sign on.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Use email by all means but avoid Facebook like the plague !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer