We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Incorrect password or user name

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all useing my laptop earlier today logged on and all worked fine shut it down when i went to lunch when i came back to it when i try to log on i get Incorrect password or user name and it just wont let me in any ideas how to get around this? Windows 7 64bit And do not have a password reset disc

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Possibly method 4 here but you will lose access to all encrypted files.

Have you checked if caps lock needs to be on or off?

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi rdave13 followed your link (thanks) and looked at method 4 clicked on the link Microsoft Help and Support: KB940765and to do the system restore i would need the windows 7 dvd which i do not have system was allready installed, i trid in safe mode with no luck but in the list before safe mode safe mode with networking listed there is Repair my computer would this give me an option to retore back to an earlier time when the password worked? Thanks again

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it still asks for your password. I'm reluctant to suggest the option 3 in my first link as I've never used the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It's fine AFAIK.

Make the standalone boot CD. Or it's on Hiren's Boot CD too with other tools.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Hi all panic over my better half told me that we had made a password reset disc and had put it away for safe keeping have just run it and we are back working again. Thanks all for your replies (not going to live this down for a while) where would be without sensible wives.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more