We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External hard drive problem.

heepster
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Hitachi 1tb ext hard drive which has been dropped. When I try and use it I get a message saying "Disk is not formatted" Any help would be much appreciated.Running XP sp3..

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Oh dear

That sounds as if the drop has damaged the file system on the drive.

Test Disk will probably be able to recover most if not all your data from the drive as it appears the drive still runs.

Tutorial for test disk here

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

Thanks for this .Yes the drive still runs up.Will follow the tutorial and let you know what happens.Sounds complicated for me though!

Like this post
heepster

Likes # 0

Well I had an expert look at this and he has deemed the drive damaged beyond repair.ALL my files could be recovered , but at a HUGE cost..Thats what he said anyway.Oh well after backing everything up on this drive I now face losing the lot!

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Bad luck. As I'm sure you realise, backing up means making a copy on another drive, not transferring to another drive.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It might be worth asking more than one expert. With so many things in relation to PCs, it's all about opinion, rather than hard fact. And, as the proverb says: "If the only solution you have is a hammer, it's funny how every problem looks like a nail."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014