We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help a noob?

joshua311
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm buying a new computer and i'm thinking of what to get so I would like you opinion of these specs and what else would you suggest.

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155

Graphics card: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580

Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750

CPU : Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Quad core

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What are you going to use it for? And What is your budget?

Over speced for general / business use, under speced for heavy gaming.

Like this post
joshua311

Likes # 0

Mainly for gaming playing battlefield 3 and such.

£1250 for a budget

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 1

I certainly would not agree with the comment that it is under-specced for gaming,the 580 GTX will handle anything you throw at it with all settings on high.

I would include a SSD for your boot drive with a big Sata for your files etc. Change the motherboard to a Z68 as Z68 boards are more likely to be able to accept the new ivy bridge processors when they released, should you want to upgrade in the future.

You will need a decent case of course and an optical drive and windows 7.

Like this post  
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Graphics OK

but I would go for an I7 at least for a high end gamer

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Still disagree the i5 2500K can be over-clocked very easily and there is little difference in gaming performance with the i7. The i7 only beats the i5 if you were into video editing in a big way on in applications that can use hyper-threading.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 1

The GTX580 is a very powerful card, I have the Gainward GTX580 Phantom 3072MB which actually beats my twin GTX295 Qual Sli hands down because I run all my games in 2560x1600 resolution.

The i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz is certainly OK for gaming on either a P67 or Z68 motherboard but I don't think you'll see any significant performance gain from an Ivy bridge CPU should you want to upgrade in the future, it is more energy efficient however.

You didn't mention the RAM speed but I'd advise checking the motherboard site for RAM compatiblity because there were some reports of certain G.Skill Ripjaws RAM having problem with some Asus board.

For roughly the same price I'd recommend this 850W Corsair PSU click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow