We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the best way to get connected to the internet using my mobile phone?

geek84

Likes # 0

Hi folks

I have an HTC Wildfire S. Usually, when I click on the internet icon, the phone connects to the internet (after about 20 or 30 seconds).

However, there is also an option on my phone to turn on the wi-fi, before attempting to connect to the internet.

Can someone please advice the purpose of this wi-fi and the pros/cons of turning it on prior to attempting to connect to the internet.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

My understanding, and I use this on my Blackberry is that when you connect to the internet by just clicking on the icon on your phone you are receiving it via the 3G network - the cost of doing this is included in your "package" and you need to check what your limit is.

Using the wifi option is for local area connections to wifi hotspots/home networks etc when you will be using the private internet networks - if you connect to your home router, for example, or a router in someone else's home, you will be using the broadband connection and no extra costs should be incurred. When you connect to a wifi hotspot in a public place you may or may not have to pay. If you have a set limit on your phone's 3G internet provision then it would be more economical to connect to the internet by wifi whenever you can.

The beauty of having an internet ready phone is that you can tether it to a laptop to receive the internet on the go through the mobile 3G network - again this may or may not mean that you will have to pay a "bundle" charge - I have to purchase a bundle when I take my laptop abroad and connect this way with my Blackberry (it can be expensive so is only used when really necessary.

Hope this helps - and hope I have explained it properly. All works for me this way anyway.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I have an HTC Wildfire S"

I have the same phone. You can connect to the internet by enabling "Mobile Network" and, depending on the service available, will get a 2G GPRS/EDGE connection or 3G/HSDPA connection. The actual connection will be indicated by G, E, 3G or H.

You can also enable WiFi and connect to a wireless broadband router for internet access. When doing this, the "Mobile Network" connection is automatically disabled.

Additionally, you can enable "Mobile Network" for internet access and then enable "WiFi Hotspot", so that the phone performs as a WiFi broadband router to which you can connect another device such as Netbook, Laptop, Tablet PC etc.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

thinks it might be very costly if you overt your limit

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

With WiFi, you an connect for free using free HotSpot like McDonalds

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement