We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unknown problem in background

Pip58

Likes # 0

Can anyone help please. When I log off and close down my laptop, for a nano-second, something flashes up on the screen and all I can make out are the words "is dead" but there is a lot more script, but it all happens so quickly i am unable to read any more. I have run my anti-virus several times and nothing is being flagged up. There are no viruses detected and no threats. I have also run Windows Security and again no virus or threat is found. Sometime ago I recall hearing that a virus or threat can lie dormant on the computer waiting to be triggered off?

Can anyone offer any suggestions what this might be and how do I establish what kind of threat or menace it is and how I can get rid off it before any damage is done.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Pip58

Likes # 0

Thanks very much rdave13, I have got Chrome installed and you've now put my mind at rest. Very much appreciated.

Cheers Pip58

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

You could video the screen with your mobile phone and then step through it to double check the message.

Or try hitting the Pause button on the keyboard. But that's hit and miss and may not work anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...