We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Registry errors following Windows Updates.

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received a Windows Update notification this am, which I downloaded. I thought something was a bit odd, because, when I rebooted, I didn't get the usual "configuring". Shortly after, I started getting problems (programs slow to open, missing icons). I rebooted again, and ran "one click maintenance", which showed numerous registry errors. Most of them referred to "missing libraries, and programs". Whilst it supposedly resolved those issues, it concerns me that I may just be burying problems deeper in the system. This is a new laptop, and I may have created a problem, myself, as I was, yesterday, transferring data, from my old laptop, which, itself, caused several registry errors.

Is there any software, that I can run over the operating system (Win 7 Prem 64 bit), to ensure I'm not building up more problems for the future. Obviously, don't want to end up having to re-do OS, unless I have to.

Many thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Depends on how much you trust your registry cleaner (most are more trouble than they are worth).

The best I've ever found that has never cause a problem) and free to boot :0) is CCleaner

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Most of the "errors" related to being unable to find "Microsoft visual C++" followed by a year. There were several of those, each followed by a year. Of course, I don't know if that is an OS fault, as I wouldn't have thought Win 7 64bit even had a, say, 2005 version.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would consider doing a restore to before the update then try again.

Like this post  
frybluff

Likes # 0

Problem is, I tend to think the problem started when I transferred data from old laptop, using "Windows Easy Transfer". It may be I did something wrong, or even brought a problem over from old lappy, or even there was some incapatability. If that has caused a "corruption" affecting the OS, I may not solve anything with a "restore", except lose data. I don't mind losing a bit of data, the only thing that's not backed up is an LP download. Everything else, I've got somewhere else, or at least "product key".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback