We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless connection for games

ZootHornRollo

Likes # 0

My son wants to buy a desktop PC and play online games in his bedroom. His laptop works well enough upstairs and is ok for net surfing and so on but its graphics are insuffient for gaming purposes. The wireless router is downstairs so I am concerned that the signal he receives upstairs may be insufficient for him to play his games. What sort of equipment will his new PC need to have to minimise this risk? Will he need some sort of adapter (like this Edimax EW-7612PIN 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n PCI-E Adapter with 3dBi High-Gain Detachable Antennas)? I don't know much about wireless equipment and signal so all help gratefully received.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Ideally he would want to use 802.11n, not so much for its speed but for its superior performance over 802.11g. However, your router must also support 802.11n wireless networking protocol to obtain the benefit.

There shouldn't be a significant difference between using an internal card and a USB adapter, the latter will actually let you locate it (and therefore its aerial) in an optimum position.

Like this post
kra123

Likes # 0

I guess that a basic question needs to be answered - do you have a N class router?, if yes go ahead and get a N USB adaptor of the same make as your router as you normally get better performance from matching equipment. If the signal is weak after connecting then you may want to consider adding a wireless range extender / repeater , such as the TP Link or the Netgear WN2000RPT,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data