We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast 7 update

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just got Avast Internet security 7 update for those that use it just run normal update.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have just done the Avast7 update. Chrome was not installed or even offered. After the install and compulsory reboot of pc I checked the settings and the only mention of Chrome was in Avast settings Troubleshooting where I ticked to not use Chrome as default Avast Browser. (I don't have and never had had Chrome). Avast7 update was painless thank goodness :)

rdave13, as a separate issue - and nowt to do with Avast - re: 'GoogleUpdater' Last week I found that it was in Scheduled Tasks and was updating every hour and reinstalling/re-enabling itself until I disabled the schedule and renamed the updater.exe files to .old I am led to believe it's to do with Google Earth?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic, now that's a strange one. I had Chrome on my desktop but not on a Vista and Win 7 laptops. Having all faith in Avast (used it for years) downloaded the updates on all three machines at same time. Desktop had double installation and both laptops had Chrome installed. I knew about the Chrome default in the Avast 'settings' which I unticked as soon as I found it. One problem did occur at getting rid of the underhanded download of that Chrome was if you didn't reboot after the update of Avast and removed Chrome, via programs and features, then Vista and 7 wouldn't shut down properly. So I guess they've removed the Chrome install is all I can think of.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

PS, that'll teach me not to update a program unattended.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Didn't find any reference to Updater in Scheduled Tasks. Don't use Google Earth and removed the Google folders in Win Ex. If they didn't persistently try to install that browser on peoples' PCs then I might have had a good go at it. I like their Mail and search engine (to a point) but not something that's trying to be force fed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've ended up with so many programs I get mixed up with what to use for what ;) so certainly don't want anymore google stuff installing itself as well.

Keep meaning to sort them out properly :) Probably get round to it one day...

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Have now installed the update on 3 PCs:

Desktop: XP Pro SP3

Laptop: XP Pro SP3

Netbook: XP Home SP3

The overall set-up on each machine is very similar (including Chrome).

The desktop install wanted to include Chrome (which I unticked), but neither of the other two installs gave me the option.

The other difference with the desktop was that the avast System Tray icon revolves all the time unless I disable "animate icon when scanning", in which case it doesn't revolve at all.

So I did an image restore to before the update and tried again, same results. So rather odd that the desktop install has worked slightly differently.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Batch

I just updated from my computer and it all went well.No Chrome add 0ns or anything like that.

Go to current status and make sure everything is ticked and working.For some reason my updates were not ticked even though I had just updated.

So updating again manually sorted that out and has been working well so far.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just thought why your globe may be turning all of the time.Is it running an automatic scan.If so set it to a different time.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

No automatic scan (does Avast Free even have one other than Boot time?).

It icon rotates no matter how long I leave the PC. Looking in Task Manager there is negligible CPU and certainly all the Avast processes sit at 0%. Negligible disk activity as well.

I suppose one difference between desktop and the laptop/netbook is that the desktop isn't wireless. But that's clutching at straws.

In any event, not a big deal, just odd.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Re Chrome: I'm beginning to wonder if it depends on how you do the update to Avast7.

I did it by opening avast interface and clicking on update program. However if you have a look at the screenshots on avastforum which entails downloading manually the program and then installing you do get the box to install Chrome which is ticked by default so you would have to untick it there.

Having said that and then doing a search of 'net there seems to be several different stories of the screens that you get - some don't get the option to not install Chrome and it installs itself - others don't get it and it's not installed.

Seems to be a bit of a mixture?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014