We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast 7 update

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just got Avast Internet security 7 update for those that use it just run normal update.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes, the freebie AV has also been nagging me. Might as well go for it now. If you don't hear from me again you'll know what's happened, killed by an updated version..

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

It is certainly different.Will have a good look through it tomorrow just running a scan now.

Quite a few changes,For the best I would hope.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Well I survived that and there seems more options to choose from. On the top right 'settings' tab then 'community' in the opened page, are you happy to send info under the 'Participate in the Avast! community'?

Privacy policy,

Privacy Policy AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.) is committed to protecting your privacy. You can visit most pages on our site without giving us any information about yourself. But sometimes we do need information to provide the services that you request, and this privacy statement explains how we collect and use your data in those situations. Please read the complete AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.) privacy statement. Collection of your personal information We will ask you when we need information that personally identifies you (personal information) or allows us to contact you. Generally, this information is requested when you order e-mail newsletters or when purchasing and/or registering AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.) products. Personal information collected by AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.) is usually limited to e-mail address, language, and country or location, but may include other information when needed to provide the service you requested. When you buy and install a new product, we may ask you to register your purchase electronically. We keep this registration information on file, together with any information you've already given us on previous visits to our web site. We use your personal information for the following purposes: to help us create and provide content that is relevant to you. to alert you about product upgrades, special offers, and other information and services available from from AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.), in accordance with your requests. Control of your personal information When you register, or otherwise give us personal information, AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.) will not share that information with third parties without your permission, other than for the limited exceptions already listed. It will only be used for the purposes stated above. Contact Information AVAST Software a.s. (formerly ALWIL Software a.s.) welcomes your comments regarding this privacy statement. You can contact us either by e-mail, or if you prefer, by postal mail.

Annoyed a bit as I must have missed that Chrome would also be installed. Already had it installed, though, while trying out Spybot's beta. Seems Avast! (FORMERLY ALWIL) is in cahoots with GODoogle? I'll be keeping an eye on this. Might even consider going back to AVG (shivvvver).

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Did you mean cloud.

I just did a full scan and it only took 24 minutes which is very quick.

I will have a good look later or tomorrow after reading your post about privacy.

Like this post  
Batch

Likes # 0

I unticked the boxes for Chrome and Participation, but one thing that was installed regardless which I didn't have before was Avast WebRep in both IE & Chrome. I don't really need it as I have alternatives already in each of Chrome & IE, plus WebRep doesn't seem to have info. built up yet on anywhere as many sites as the others I use (McAfee Site Advisor and WOT).

Other than that it seems pretty much same as before.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Batch, I unticked WebRep after the reboot. Seems we both missed a few things on the update. Sad that if you already have Chrome and it's reinstalled after the upgrade then you will have two Google Chromes to uninstall in programs and features if you need to uninstall the aggressive and pervasive browser.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Don't know if you have add-ons in chrome if so disable it on there.

I have web rep and WOT on this computer and have no problems.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is what I ended up with removing with Ccleaner,

ActiveX/COM Issue GoogleUpdateProcessLauncher - {ABC01078-F197-4B0B-ADBC-CFE684B39C82} HKCR\GoogleUpdateProcessLauncher

and

ActiveX/COM Issue GoogleUpdateProcessLauncher.1.0 - {ABC01078-F197-4B0B-ADBC-CFE684B39C82} HKCR\GoogleUpdateProcessLauncher.1.0

You've certainly have to have your wits about you when relying on free programs regardless for how long you've used them.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks for this thread, I got the notification of update but decided to wait for comments on it before taking the plunge. Glad I did, I'll wait a few days and do update when I've got my wits about me :D

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic

Good on you :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone