We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Gaming mouse for beginner

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having just got a new laptop, with decent gaming capabilities, I want to get a mouse for gaming. Whilst I would be getting it for other members of the familly, I want to be able to give it a go, myself (a complete beginner).

What I want is something of decent quality, with some programability, but not something with "500" buttons, I wouldn't be able to use, or need an electronics degree to set up. The ability to actually use it as a MOUSE, would be handy. I don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want to get "cheap and nasty", that's likely to break in five minutes.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

As you do not mention what you would like to spend it is difficult to suggest any particular mouse. I am a massive gamer and and find that I have never used the buttons that come with some mice so tend to buy a decent laser or optical mouse.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

As a complete beginner, I would have to be guided by someone else's experience. All I would say is that I am very right handed. I almost might as well have no left hand, for all the co-ordination I have. My thought about "additional mouse functions", was setting them to do what I would, otherwise, need my left hand for (you can tell I'm a beginner).

I don't mind spending £40, for one (even a bit more, if it's really worth it!). I would also welcome a suggestion of a good, first person shooter, game to get, to practice on, that's not too frustrating, for a beginner. (I've got 3GB GT555M)

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I am currently using one of these:Logitech MX518 and feel it is an excellent mouse. You will find that you will have to use your left hand as you will find it difficult to use just your right to play ay game. I love my FPS games but what to reccommend to someone starting out. F.E.A.R perhaps, Doom £ maybe, Wolfenstien. It really is dificult to say. Just pick one you fancy but play on the easy setting till you get the hang of it. If your more comfortable with a gamepad then a lot of games support them.

Like this post  
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

My mate gave me that mouse when he upgraded. Its a very good mouse and still going strong after a vouple of years. My mate probely used to it more than 10 hours a day for gaming. The one thing I took a while to get used to was the fact its slighter bigger than a standered mouse.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Just bought the Logitech G500 I'm very pleased with it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK