We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Restore factory settings

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I just acquired a secondhand Packard Bell all-in-one PC for my wife (shhh - don't tell her). The previous owner has, inevitably, left her mark on it in various ways - desktop, widgets, folder names, self-installed software. I'm thinking that I might use the 'restore factory settings' option that is available on boot-up so taht it looks like a new machine.

But, I've always operated on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

Nothing can go wrong, Shirley?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Who are you calling Shirley?LOL

It won't be broke if you restore and your good lady will have a nice shiny new PC without someone else's clutter.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronus. 'Airplane' = great movie>> :-) In fact, I've already made restore discs for the PC in its current state - not ideal, but better than nothing in an emergency - so that makes me feel a bit better. But job one, if I do do a factory restore, will be to make a new set. I can't believe the previous owners didn't - but, from my experience, that is very frequently the case.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I did a PB factory restore on my nephew's 5/6 year old laptop. I was able to make new restore discs. It became as first received and all options were there.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

As I have always built my own PC's bar my first I have never ever used restore disks and if I have a PC for a repair which involves a factory reset or some such I tend to do a clean reinstall of Windows usually finding the drivers beforehand which tend to be more up to date than the ones on the restore disks. I must admit finding drivers can be a major job in itself particularly with the older mass market PC's with there generic motherboards. All part of computing worlds rich tapestry.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

LOtvic: good news - thanks. (It's also reassuring to hear that PB kit lasts that long - a few years ago, they had a pretty bad reputation. But the price for this, with a 20" touch screen, was just too good to walk away from...

Chronus: with just about every other PC in the house (and there are way too many...) I would do as you do, and install Windows and the drivers. However, as this one comes with the restore facility, and as I don't have a spare copy of W7 hanging about (and nor am I prepared to buy one) then I'm happy to do it this way. I'm a great one, btw, for believing that if a driver works, then it's fine by me. Only if I experienced driver-related problems would I look at finding the latest ones.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

rdave: thanks. Well, I've always been a very happy (to the tune of two laptops and two netbooks) acer user, so fingers crossed...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?