We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Aspire One netbook wireless problem

GBL

Likes # 0

I have just aquired an Acer Aspire One D257 netbook, the only way I can get the internet is by direct connection, the wireless feature will not work no matter what I try. fn and F3-- fails to connect, I have run a check on the drivers all appear to be current, although there in one missing for Network Connection, if that is the problem. I have read that others have had a similar problem, one solution was to install Linux, but don;t want to do that. Apparently the kernal in in that, now I am confused.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Is it detecting wireless networks, but you just can't connect to one? Or is it not even detecting wireless networks?

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

It is not detecting any wireless signal, even when next to the router.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Drivers here

You may have to press FnF3 a couple of time to cycle through the sequence of wireless card and bluetooth.

wireless off -- wireless on -- bluetooth on -- wireless off -- etc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Geoffy: silly question I'm sure - but you're 100% certain there's a wireless signal? You got anything else you could confirm that with? If you're certain, then it sounds, as you and Fruit Bat /\0/\ suspect, like you may need to reinstall the driver.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

Yes wireless is working fine on my main laptop and moblie phone, it is just that the Aspire can't detect it, I have depress the fn and F3 keys several times, held the down, any combination all without success, I get the wireless sign with a red cross through it. all drivers have been updated and installed with the exception of the Network controler which I cant find.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've looked a a couple of Acers with this problem, and just couldn't get the WiFi to function. Gave up in the end and bought a £10 dongle which solved the problem and they don't come much smaller than this

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't know the OS but is WLAN Autoconfig started in services?

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

The OS is Win 7 Starter.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look in services to see if WLAN Autoconfig is set to auto then try the combination of keys as Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggested to see if you get the wlan card running.

Like this post
GBL

Likes # 0

I had this same problem a few years ago on a Laptop using Vista, it was a missing file which I managed to get hold of and install. But I can't remember what the file was or how I found that out. The Network adapter is not working as there is no driver, I have reinstalled it countless times but during the installation it does state something about it not being connected or something like that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room