We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Capital letters that change to small letters?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I seem to have recently, a problem that when write a capital letter 'A' it changes automatically to 'a'. I then have to go back and replace the 'a' to 'A' or whatever letter changes.

This can be at the beginning of a sentence, or any where else in a sentence.

I use IESpell, but the problem seems to occur with all the browsers etc that I use. But it doesn't always happen!.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Caps lock or Shift key sticking - possibly?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

northumbria61

No its not that, because it can happen after I have printed other text to a line?.

It would appear to be a spell checker correction type fault?.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Didn't think that IESpell did auto-corrections?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

lotvic is correct - there is no auto correction facility in ieSpell

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I can only agree, because it was only a theory on my part.

Whatever the case, it would appear to be something that is changing Capital text as I type. I can live with it, but it would be nice to have a solution to the problem. Everything that I have tried, hasn't offered a solution.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"the problem seems to occur with all the browsers etc that I use"

What other spell checkers do you have installed? as some other browsers have their own checker and I'm thinking it may be some sort of conflict, though I don't know of any that do auto corrections. Usually just get a red line underneath misspellings.

MS Office does have auto correct if you set it up (don't know if that has anything to do with it)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

forgot to add.. Have you tried another keyboard?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

lotvic

I have spare keyboards, so I will give this a try.

There isn't MS Office on the computer in question (running XP). When time allows, I will have to dig deeper into the software, to see if I can pin-point anything there. I have a strange feeling that when I installed something some time ago, there was a tick box involved, that might have something to do with the fault.

I will tick this as resolved.

Thanks to those that have given their time and input on this question, much appreciated.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made