We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Major Thunderbird crash

kimtrnc

Likes # 0

My system had a a major crash this week. Not yet found out why. Most programs seem to be running ok and I have managed to reinstall the latest version of Thunderbird (mind you, I didn't ask for it, but it arrived anyway!)

However, I am not able to get anything in or out for several days now. Delving into the background, I found that the sytem is now using IMAP, although I have always used a POP.

Sure I must have done something silly, but quite desperate without my email. Can anyone help, please?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If your settings are correct for sending/receiving from Thunderbird it may be a Firewall problem -

Verify that your firewall or antivirus program is not blocking Thunderbird. With a classic firewall its simply a question of whether or not you have a rule that states the application is allowed to connect to the Internet, and does the rule know about the current version of the Thunderbird executable

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

I don't have a firewall. I AM able to view my emails directly in gmail, but I really prefer to have it down/uploaded from my Thunderbird. Whilst all this was driving me mad, Thunderbird decided that I MUST have the newest version and downloaded it anyway.

I STILL can't access my in/out mail via Thunderbird. I THINK the problem may be in the settings, but I can't see how to correct this. Thanks for your interest

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Go to Tools/Account Settings and at the bottom of the screen there is a 'Account Actions' button. Click on 'Add Mail Account' this will start a wizard, during which there is a option to select IMAP or POP.

Once you have got the Pop settings correct delete the IMAP accounts!

Like this post
kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Thankyou Mik e, that sorted it. Still don't know what exactly happened. I am quite bereft without my email!

PS Sorry - don't know how to get a proper font for your name!!)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Re Accent:In W7: Start/All programmes/Accessories/System Tools/Character map. You could put a shortcut on desktop.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Or you could copy and paste the name.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures