We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acer Aspire 5742 wont load Windows

pomerian

Likes # 0

I have the above laptop running windows 7 it is about 15 months old on start up it asks if we want to repair the installation, I click yes after a while it goes to blue screen with windowes flag in centre and stays like that. any ideas anyone.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Turn the laptop OFF - Turn the laptop ON - As soon as the laptop comes on Tap f8 and keep tapping until a menu appears - from that menu you may have the option to Repair my Computer - if you have highlight and press enter.

Like this post
pomerian

Likes # 0

I have just tried that clicked on Repair my Computer, after bar at bottom of screen showing loading had finished it's traverse to end, screen went black with just mouse pointer arrow showing, it just stays like that with no further action

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try booting in safe mode to see if it will get to the desktop. It might be a bad driver update. Tap F8 (or F5 on some machines) on boot-up. You should be able to get to the advanced options menu. Select safe mode (without internet connection). Have a look at the last Windows update and check if there's been an update to any of your hardware.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

screen went black with just mouse pointer arrow showing, it just stays like that with no further action

You may need to wait for up to 30 mins.

If still not working do the repair again, sometimes it takes a few attempts to complete a repair.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

pomerian - My sister bought the same laptop from Argos last June, and it displayed the same symptoms as you describe. (Hard drive fault). Luckily she returned it and got it back, in working order, after two weeks.

I tried to fix it for her (with my reasonable knowledge, and PCA's help, to no avail).

You may be stuck with a faulty machine...but I hope you can sort it out.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If it is a dying HDD then all is not lost if you've burnt the recovery discs. You can insert a new HDD then use the discs to restore to factory settings. With the old HDD you can use a caddy to retrieve your documents as it still seems to be spinning. This is the worst case scenario of course. Hopefully it's just a bad driver.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote