We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

black screen with desktop peeking out from behind

Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Hmmmm, this is new on me. My daughters HP netbook appears to have decided on start up (after password) to show totally black screen - well I say totally but there is a small strip of blue on the left side. It is like a empty window. The windows start button is in the bottom left, and a small pop up with two 'my videos' sort of links - but the netbook does nothing at all no response. my daughter has left it for ages in case it was thinking about something to no avail.

Can anyone help? I have forgotten even how to start in safe mode.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Is it still switched on or have you powered down and re-booted? This happened to me a couple of days ago following a windows update - powering down and re-booting fortunately cleared it for me.

You say that the start button is there - did you click on it to see if it opened? Is there a dvd or cd in the drive?

It could be do to the video driver needing updating.

It may be for some reason that the resolution of the screen has been altered.

If you can get into the control panel after clicking on the start button, then go onto display, settings, and check that the resolution is correct for the laptop display.

Have a look at this article explaining how to do this.

To start in safe mode you keep tapping the F8 button until the screen appears.

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Thanks Difarn,

I did try to reply but my phone was having non of it this morning. darn technology!

Have managed to start it in safe mode, so I can maybe play around with it now.

I will look at the article and let you know how I get on.

PurpleSue

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Good luck.

Like this post
Purple Sue

Likes # 0

Ha - simples - I managed to go to uninstall programs from safe mode, and she had indeed recently installed something (Livid?) anyway, all removed (I think) and appears to be a happy bunny.

Many thanks for your support!

PurpleSue

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...