We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TalkTalk and Webmail

SparkyJack
Resolved

Likes # 0

One of my flock has talktalk- He asserted that without leave or consent his mail started coming in on a Gmail account ,assive TT and decided that was the way to go. Then he found[hecsays] the Gmail account has changed to another, again without any doing on his part.

So are TT playing games or is he getting a little bemused?

He is I have to say getting on a bit- but I am sure he would be aware of setting up Webmail accounts

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If he's using "strictly web mail" then presumably he is using two different webmail sites - TalkTalk and Gmail. So as lotvic says check if either or both are set up to refer to the other, or to collect mail from the other.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin You wrote
If he's using "strictly web mail" then presumably he is using two different webmail sites

Going back to the beginning of this thread- that is exactly the puzzlement

He uses/ed his ISP webmail service- or did until all mail started coming in on a G Mail address NOT OF HIS MAKING this is the puzzlment -put that with what I have already said it can only be of the ISP's doing

So what's TT's little game?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As far as I am aware TalkTalk's email service doesn't actually have support for server-side automatic forwarding so it must be Gmail settings.

So to summarise: there is a new Gmail address that is collecting his talktalk email and he doesn't know how this happened. Anyway it has happened to the settings need to be undone.

To find out how it is set up at the moment: open gmail.com and log in. Click on the Gear icon in the top right and choose 'settings'. Then from the headings choose 'accounts and import' and see what info you can glean. Also click on the other headings to suss out what's what. Don't change anything for now, need to find out first how it is set up and working.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Here is some more useful info: support.google.com/mail

Moving mail from another account to Gmail

There are three ways to move your mail from another account to Gmail: forwarding mail, importing mail, and fetching mail. Regardless of which way you use, we suggest creating filters and labels in Gmail to help organize this mail. Select an option below to learn more about moving mail, and to see which method will work best for you. Transfer existing mail and/or contacts to Gmail

Import mail and contacts: If you're switching to Gmail from another email provider, importing contacts and messages from your old email account can help you make the transition without having to do a bunch of housekeeping. You can also have new mail sent to your old email address automatically imported to your Gmail account for the next 30 days. Please note that this doesn't establish a permanent connection between the accounts. If you want to connect two accounts permanently, you should use Mail Fetcher. Transfer existing mail to Gmail, and check for new messages regularly

Fetching: Gmail's Mail Fetcher can download messages from up to five other email accounts on a regular basis, centralizing all your email in Gmail. If your other webmail account offers POP3 access, you can configure Mail Fetcher in Gmail and automatically download all your other mail to Gmail. In a short amount of time, this will download all of your existing messages to Gmail, and will regularly check your other account for new mail.

You'll need to contact your other webmail provider to determine whether or not they support POP3 access, and for instructions on enabling it. Transfer new mail to Gmail

Forwarding: If your other webmail provider supports auto-forwarding, you can set your Gmail address as the forwarding target. This will only forward mail that arrives from now on.

You'll need to contact your other webmail provider to determine whether or not they support auto-forwarding, and for instructions on enabling it.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Thanx Lotvic

Lucid as usual

I shall print this oiff and pass it to him to make of it what he will

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Hope he tells you what the outcome is, curiosity (mine) can be a curse at times ;-)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...