We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Suspicious Ask Jeeves

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

My browser, today, has suddenly changed to what purports to be "Ask Jeeves", without me changing it. I have IE9 as my default. I have checked that IE9 is still my default. I've tried uninstalling "Ask Jeeves". Still there. In the end, I tried using it, but my search was immediately quarantined by Malwarebytes, as "suspicious". Did malware scan which found and removed a malicious adware, but I've still got "Ask Jeeves", and I still can't get rid of it.

I thought about doing a restore to a couple of days ago, but as not done it before, not sure how (I don't want to lose all my old data). Not even sure if it will help.

Help would be much appreciated.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I thought Ask Jeeves was dead and gone long ago If my assumption is correct then this could indeed some malware trick

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In IE9 manage add-ons select 'all add-ons' then disable Ask. Go to programs and features and uninstall Ask toolbar if showing. Go back to IE and make your old search engine the default.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ask Jeeves is still around. The Ask toolbar can inadvertently be downloaded and installed with some other programs. You have to be careful to untick the box.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

In particular it comes with Java unless you untick. I strongly dislike this practice of including things which you have to untick. Java what is the ask toolbar

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

System restore doesn't remove data only programs/drivers/registry changes, etc since the previous restore point.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Have fully uninstalled the REAL Ask. "Ask" does not exist on laptop. In the list of available browsers: against "ASK" it says not available. IE9/Bing is selected as default, and I have the "blocker" ticked to "prevent other browsers suggesting a change". If I left click on internet explorer, I get this suspicious "ask" screen. If I right click on internet explorer, I get the Messenger, hotmail link. If I click on that I DO get IE9/bing, but, obviously I shouldn't need to.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You seem to be confusing your browser (IE9) with your Home Page, which has changed to Ask Jeeves. Go to the Tools menu - Internet Options - and type in the URL of the page you want to use as your Home Page. Click Apply and OK.

Like this post  
frybluff

Likes # 0

Woolwell

That does actually sound a possibility, as some software, I was downloading, earlier, did do an update of Java, in the process, but I don't recall any mention of ASK (maybe in the small print). Any ideas on how to kill it?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin

Thanks for that, did trick. You learn something new every day

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Glad that's sorted - thanks for the feedback

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014