We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop screen flicker - overheating?

wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have had my laptop for about 3 years, and it has served well through extensive audio editing and gaming, and had never overheated on my once, but when my girlfriend started playing sims on it, she had the laptop on the bed blocking up all airflow causing it to overheat and conk out 3 times.

It has now started overheating on the odd occasion, and recently the screen has started flickering after prolonged or frequent use, or if I use a power consuming program (games etc). It doesn't appear to be a graphical glitch as the picture itself appears normal and there's no graphical slowdown, but the on screen picture itself starts jumping like made horizontally until I tap the computer itself, which seems to fix the issue temporarily, or sometimes if I close the program I was using.

My guess is that the processor needs the thermal paste replacing, and I regularly clean out the fan the best I can without dis-assembling the entire computer, which is what I would have to do to get to the processor, which is why I am reluctant to do so without knowing exactly what the issue is. My question is though, what could the problem be? Is it most probably the thermal paste needs replacing, or could it be a more serious problem?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I would have thought more likely to be the graphics chip on the way out - thermal paste normally lasts for (almost) ever if the CPU isn't disturbed.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The most common causes of laptop screen flicker relate to

Screen connector or ribbon cable faults

Faulty screen inverter or connecting cable issues

You can often get clues to the fault from where you tap to do a short term fix

If it is in the upper half rear of the screen it is most likely to be the first option above

Lower front would indicate the other

Cheers HC

Like this post
wednesday 13

Likes # 0

Thanks for your responses, it sound more likely to be screen inverter / connecting cables, and after looking to try and find a video of what it looks like that seems to be the more common case. I'll have a look and try cleaning the area out and checking connections.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks